Friday, December 01, 2006

All Dolled Up








Do you ever create something to sell, then cringe at the thought of selling it? Yet you still want to put your best foot forward and offer for sale those things that you're most proud of. Well, I created a couple of art dolls this summer and have been dragging my feet on listing them anywhere. I had been toying with sending them to one of my favorite magazines, Somerset Studio or Cloth Paper Scissors, as my goal for the year was to get published in a national publication. But I'm somewhat anxious about packing them up and sending them across the country to have them sit around in some back room somewhere for six months. I know, I know, my art friends here tell me I can't achieve my goal unless I actually submit something!! arrgghhh! Anyway, I finally listed the "Journey Angel Art Doll" and "Believe Angel Art Doll" on Etsy today. Both dolls were juried into the Professional Fine Arts division of 150th Indiana State Fair this summer. "Believe" received an Honorable Mention ribbon. I'd like some honest feedback on these. What do you think, should I make more?

5 comments:

Cat said...

These are perfect in every way - the color the composition, the magnificent detail - I'm impressed!

Stacie said...

Hi, I just found your blog through Etsy so I'm a stranger (hope it's ok to comment!)

I really like these dolls a lot and I think Somerset Studios would as well - they are definitely something I could see being published in either magazine you mentioned. They're beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Definitely make more! They are gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Joann,

As a past contributor to Somerset Studio, Take Ten, etc. I found the experience of preparation of my final pieces, writing descriptions, packing and mailing to meet the deadline was a good experience. And, it took courage just to send something in! Seeing many of my pieces in print did give me a confidence boost!

My first piece sat somewhere out there for about 4 years. I had been so close to deadline, I didn't even send return postage-so didn't expect it back. Then one day, a copy of Stamper's Sampler came in the mail, unordered. I opened it up a few days later and there was my piece - it had been given a 2-page spread!!! I was very happy to see it again after so long. Then last summer, the piece was returned to me even without my sending postage.

So, go for it if you're so inclined, your figures are beautiful. They touched and inspired me.

Wyanne Thompson said...

I'm having the same problem getting my work to those magazines. Maybe we should set some goal together and help each other out. Just a thought. Love, Wyanne